Okay, so the title is a little creepy. No one died, just our blog momentarily :) Sorry about the lack of updates, but without internet at home old pregnant wife has just been plain lazy about communication. Hopefully this is a situation that will be rectified soon.
On the upside, this means there’s lots to inform you of! So far during our 5/6 months on Molokai, we’ve survived a hurricane, tsunami warning, and island fire.
Both the hurricane and tsunami ended up amounting to pretty
much nothing (hurricane= light rain, tsunami=slightly higher tide), but it’s definitely an odd feeling going through your home to pack up the “essentials” that you wouldn’t want taken by natural disaster!
Ah, the joys of living yards away from the beach :) The fire was kind of a big deal. It started behind town, and wasn’t completely put out for more than a week, taking with it about ¼ of the island. While it didn’t cross the road to our beach side house, it did come within feet of people’s homes. It was crazy to see the orange blaze at night, and the helicopters bucketing water from the ocean and swimming pools to help contain it. They did a great job though, and throughout the week only one garage was lost! I think God’s trying to tell us to invest in renter’s insurance :) Furthermore, Eric has really developed a love for snorkeling. Shown is a pic of the squid he caught.

Luckily, he froze it to use as bait, and I didn’t have to use any culinary skills on it. His snorkeling expeditions have become quite interesting. He has now swam with about a dozen different sea turtles, schools of squid and numerous fish, sting ray, and most recently a 5 ft. shark. The shark was apparently about 15 ft. away, but definitely led him to make his way back to the kayak where wife was waiting. The shark didn’t appear to be interested in any way in snacking on my hubbie, but apparently Eric got a scare when on his way back a sea turtle came up from the bottom of the ocean, reminiscent of the creature he was making his departure from :) They say Hawaii has the longest life expectancy of the states, but with three potential natural disasters, and wildlife in abundance, I’m starting to wonder.
In other wildlife news, we’ve had a seal living on “our” beach for the last several weeks.
Meet KP2! His mother stranded him as a pup, and he has since been monitored by wildlife rescuers.

Most monk seals like him can be dangerous, at times injuring humans. This guy is just the opposite. He’s developed a sincere love of humans, and has shown this to Molokai residents around the island, swimming with kayakers, (eating their fish), and chilling out with people at the wharf. We’ve been having fun petting him, and spotting him in the ocean. Pictured with me are our two neighbor girls, Taye and Trinity. They love “Uncle Eric” and “Auntie Ris”, and come over A LOT to play… A LOT :)
Eric spent the last ½ week in Oahu on a mission trip with the church. They spent their days servicing Surfing the Nations, a group that preaches the gospel through feeding the hungry, surf and skate events, and mission trips around the world… including Molokai. The group recently purchased a bar that had been open since before Pearl Harbor and had only been closed one day since! The guys helped remodel the bar into a Christian coffee house, and the apartments behind it for the staff. Eric had fun getting to know the church guys better, but I was never gladder to have my hubbie return home. We’ve really enjoyed our church here on Molokai, especially our Wednesday night bible studies. We meet with another church on the island (whose pastor & wife have become good friends… I’ve been helping her decorate… see below :), and it includes about 15 20-30 yr. olds. Right now we’re going through Romans, and it’s so awesome to meet with fellow believers to eat, fellowship, and talk about God.
Baby and I are doing good. There have been numerous requests for a belly pic, so here it is… we’re def. past the point at 33 wks of being anywhere near “cute” pregnant, but try to remember, you asked!
Ah, there’s nothing that makes a girl feel attractive like 30+ lbs of extra weight sticking out of all the wrong places! God gives, and He takes away… I’m especially hoping the latter includes pregnancy weight :) Actually, I can’t complain at all. Throughout the pregnancy I’ve felt relatively normal, although I’m starting to forget what “normal” was in the first place :) We’re def. getting excited to see the little bugger and change our “2” to a “3”. The 3 couples we’ve gotten to be closest to here all are either expecting or have a baby under 6 months… and all boys! We’re ready to join the club.
I’m trying to enjoy this last month & ½ of nothing to do… mostly doing extra reading, cooking, and sewing. Recently, one of our friends here has me helping her redecorate her house… which of course, I’m only too happy to do :) Decorating on Molokai is a bit of a challenge (best option is the hardware store), so we’re repurposing as much as we can. Luckily, since our own home is decorated in late Goodwill style, this scavenging comes rather easily :) Eric has a long list of things I’m no longer allowed to do as “pregnant wife”, including biking by myself, cleaning the bathroom, and soon to follow cooking. He keeps telling me that as of Oct. 15th I’m no longer allowed to cook, and he will be preparing all the meals. While I in no way doubt my sweet husband’s culinary skills (he makes a mean beer batter fish), I can’t help but think that this could result in more work for me, instead of a break :) I’m currently protesting this idea… but as we get closer to Nov. 26th, my resistance is starting to wear down… we’ll see!
Well, that’s all for now… hope you enjoy the XL post!
Peace out-
E&M
P.S. Check out Eric’s before/after hair pics! The “before” version he def. pulled the hair out as far as he could so it would be even bigger :) This is his first haircut on the island, and he’s decided if he waits this long every time, he’ll only have to get 2-3 haircuts a year :) Ah, the mind of husbands :)


Eric's disclaimer on the pictures: Ris picks all the photos for the blog, this explains the abundance of pictures of me and the lack of pictures of her...I'll work on this. Aloha
No comments:
Post a Comment